Chapter 6 – Rural Administration
What is the work of the police?
The works of a police are:
- Listen to the public complaints
- Maintenance of public safety
- Investigation of the cases
- Maintenance of law and order
List two things that the work of a Patwari includes.
The works of a Patwari are:
- Measuring land and keeping land records
- Maintaining and updating the records of the village.
- Organising the collection of land revenue from the farmers and providing information to the government a out the crops in this area.
What is the work of a tehsildar?
Works of a Tehsildar are:
- Ensuring a proper collection of land revenue
- Provides caste certificates to the students
- Ensuring that land records are kept safely
- Supervising the works of Patwari
What issue is the poem trying to raise? Do you think this is an important issue? Why?
Issue raised: Gender discrimination of daughters getting share in father’s property. Yes, this is an important issue as sons do not take care of his mother and sister after getting the father’s property.
In what ways are the work of the Panchayat, that you read about in the previous chapter, and the work of the Patwari related to each other?
The difference between Panchayat and Patwari are:
- Panchayat solve the land dispute but Patwari keeps the land records and land dispute record.
- Panchayat imply the tax and revenue but Patwari organizes the collected revenue.
Visit a police station and find out the work that the police have to do to prevent crime and maintain law and order in their area especially during festivals, public meetings etc.
To prevent crime and maintain law and order during festivals the police take the following steps:
- Spread awareness among people in many ways.
- Prepare for any emergency.
- Enquire about the amount of crowd to be gathered in the local areas.
- According to the crowd they prepare setup of the police on duty.
Who is in charge of all the police stations in a district? Find out.
SP (Superintendent of Police) is the in charge of the police stations in a district.
How do women benefit under the new law?
The new law has brought a good change in the life of women as:
- Now they feel more secure and independent.
- Now they can get the share in the ancestral property.
- Now they can start their own business after getting the share in the property.
- Now they are empowered and live peacefully in the society.
In your neighbourhood are there women who own property? How did they acquire it?
Yes, in our neighborhood there are so many women having own property, some have got it from their father while some have purchased by own.