Chapter 3 – What is Government?
What do you understand by the word ‘government’? List five ways in which you think the government affects your daily life.
Government: It is a mechanism or groups that govern and take decisions according to the rules already written.
Government affects in our daily life:
- It protects our boundaries.
- It runs our railway system
- It provides health facilities
- It solves our social issues
- It provides us with water supply
Why do you think the government needs to make rules for everyone
in the form of laws?
It is necessary to make rules in the form laws as:
- It prevents the misuse of their power
- It ensures the security of the nation
- It helps the people to lead a normal life
- It helps in proper functioning of the Government
Name two essential features of a democratic government.
The two essential features of a democratic government are:
- People elect their candidate themselves through elections
- Government has to answer for its actions.
What was the suffrage movement? What did it accomplish?
Suffrage means Right to Vote Earlier women and poor of USA and Europe did not have this right to vote. They fought for this and ultimately during First World War this movement got strengthened and known as suffrage movement. And women of USA got succeed in 1920 and Europe in 1928.
Gandhiji strongly believed that every adult in India should be given
the right to vote. However, a few people don’t share his views. They
feel that illiterate people, who are mainly poor, should not be given
the right to vote. What do you think? Do you think this would be a
form of discrimination? Give five points to support your view and
share these with the class.
Yes in my point of view this a kind of discrimination as
- At the time of freedom everybody fought for it so why this discrimination now for electing a candidate.
- They will feel neglected as they will not be able to participate in the Government.
- It is totally a conflict to the idea of equality of democracy
- Every adult is given right to vote
- People are not illiterate or poor by their choice